peugeot forums, peugeot Information,Peugeot Photos, Peugeot Reviews
Peugeot Central
Peugeot Central :: View topic - Clutch DFM to solid flywheel

Peugeot Central Forum Index >> Peugeot 407 forum >> Clutch DFM to solid flywheel
View previous topic - View next topic
Clutch DFM to solid flywheel

muffindell

Limited Edition Limited Edition
What Peugeot do you own?: 407
How did you find Peugeot Central?: Google

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking (yeah even I do that!) since the 2lt HDi installed in the 407 is just a 16valve version of the 2ltHDi 8 valve version fitted to the 406, would the solid flywheel conversion and to that matter up-rated friction plate (or complete assembly) that is available on the 406 fit the 407; or have Peugeot been sneaky again? Amongst everyone, James may be able to answer this one - over to you folks Laughing
Advertisement
PeugeotCentral.co.uk
Advertisement
Re: Clutch DFM to solid flywheel

canyondust

Pole Position Pole Position
Joined: Jan 09, 2008 Posts: 6917 Location: Huddersfield Posts Left: 0
Insurance renewal month: January

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Its not 'Just' a 16v version there are many changes to the engine and its control system.

There is (I beleive) a solid kit available for that engine but one would have to question that effect long term this will have on the lifespan of the cam belt and ancillariies attached & crank shaft.

I'm far from an expert on this matter (and I'nm not sure many are) and there are currently many open and on going debates in various magazines, clutch manyufactures white papers etc.

However - its like most things in life - do your homework - play your cards - and hope for the best.  If something nasty happens to the engine in 20kmiles then it didnt pay off, if it doesnt then fantastic.
Its also worth bearing in mind the increase engine movement and vibration at idle you are likely to get - but again thats a choice to make.

I can probably dig out some literature on the general subject if anyone is interested.
From a personal point of view I havent made my bed in either camp - I've seen very little evidence of detailed research.

Regards.

James.

muffindell

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks James. Okay, so I may of over simplified the fact it was just a 16valve head bolted to the engine! It's weird to think that not so long ago all flywheels were solid, with very few problems, I thought the DFM was just for vibration refinement nothing more Confused  However, I'm only aware of genuine only clutch plates for the 407 - at the moment, which doesn't help the huge number of people out there with slipping clutches after very few miles. Peugeot clutches (pre DFM type)used to last 100-140k before they gave up, progress eh Rolling Eyes

canyondust

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
PSA do not manufacture clutch plates or flywheels - LUK have one for the 2.016v.

The DMF is for vibration control - but vibration control of crankshaft, camshaft and vehiclle.  There are different reasons (or degrees of) for fitting them to different vehicles. Sometimes its mainly 'refinement' on luxury motors others its imperative to allow the crankshaft to survive.  In these cases previous varients may have had crankshaft balancers and have been replaced with a DMF - so swapping your DMF for a solid may not be so bright in that case.

James.

muffindell

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
It doesn't really explain why the friction plates seem to be slipping prematurely though does it? There appears to be a specification fault, something more heavy duty should of been fitted from the start. How long will it be before the after market catches up and produces a heavier duty product that doesn't slip after 20-80k, they would capture the replacement market place very quickly, I'm sure.

canyondust

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Personally i've not come across 'slipping' clutches in 407's and have had no complaints from customers - remapped or not.

TheBigE

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I have a Peugeot 407 SW with now 24,000 miles at 18,000 miles I had the clutch replaced due to slippage at peak torque in all gears (Under Warrenty 20,000). I now have to have the flywheel replaced due to rough running and also difficulty in starting don't know why starting should happen but apparently it does (Dealer says so). The clutch may also have to be replaced which after contacting Peugeot about they will pay for as it is outside 20,000 mile warranty. If there is a conversion to solid available soon I will kep the car if not then I will definately be getting rid of it before warranty runs out.

SeanieBiy

On the Grid On the Grid
Joined: Aug 05, 2008 Posts: 9 Location: Ireland Posts Left: 3
What Peugeot do you own?: 406

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
Maybe ( Just a suggestion ) an adjustment of driving style is necessary ?

I know that the IAM current drill is to always use the brake to control speed , change gears smoothly while the car is running , and always block change. Their reasoning for this is twofold , 1) less time spent with only one hand on the wheel and 2) more sympathetic to the clutch in modern cars , the brake discs should be longer wearing than the clutch so use them .

It's possible , sometimes in the world of car design they come up with brilliant ways to do things , but forget to tell the rest of us that we need to adjust to them .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Path of Excess leads to the Tower of Wisdom

Mr_Cellexe

Deluxe Deluxe
Joined: Jul 04, 2007 Posts: 1966 Location: Hertfordshire Posts Left: 3
What Peugeot do you own?: 206

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
brakes longer wearing than the clutch?

sorry, but what the hell?

my last clutch outlasted my brakes by almost twice the distance!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condoms By Peugeot...The Ride Of Your Life! Very Happy

SeanieBiy

On the Grid On the Grid
Joined: Aug 05, 2008 Posts: 9 Location: Ireland Posts Left: 3
What Peugeot do you own?: 406

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote
Yip,
 It's an IAM thing , the idea is you should wear out the brakes instead of wearing out the clutch, using the discs instead of engine braking.
As a question was your last car a solid flywheel or DMF ? as I said it's possible that thats part of the reasoning.

In any event the brakes are cheaper to replace.

Love the sig by the way.
The Path of Excess leads to the Tower of Wisdom
Peugeot Central Forum Index >> Peugeot 407 forum >> Clutch DFM to solid flywheel

Goto page 1, 2, 3  NextPage 1 of 3
Jump to: