peugeot forums, peugeot Information,Peugeot Photos, Peugeot Reviews
Peugeot Central
Peugeot Central :: View topic - 307 excessive smoke problems

Peugeot Central Forum Index >> Peugeot 307 forum >> 307 excessive smoke problems
View previous topic - View next topic
307 excessive smoke problems

lozz

On the Grid On the Grid
What Peugeot do you own?: 307
How did you find Peugeot Central?: Google
Insurance renewal month: January

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Hi, my husband has a 307 2.0l LX HDI estate (2002), it's done just under 100k and its excessively smoking from the exhaust, either white/blue-ish smoke. When he starts it up, if he revs it, he leaves a  black carbon mess on the road  Sad  He has changed the air filter & seen no improvement, he's thinking maybe the EGR valve, but it looks like a pain to get to (we have a haynes manual) has anyone got any suggestions as to what might be the problem? or any tips for getting to the EGR valve if thats the problem.
Sorry if the info is a bit useless, but cars are not my thing  Very Happy and the internet isn't his thing  Laughing
Thanks
Laura
Advertisement
PeugeotCentral.co.uk
Advertisement
Re: 307 excessive smoke problems

Crow

Deluxe Deluxe
Joined: Oct 28, 2007 Posts: 1738 Location: Swindon / Wiltshire Berkshire border Posts Left: 0
What Peugeot do you own?: 407
How did you find Peugeot Central?: MSN

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Hi

it could be egr , stuck open , check the vacume pipes to the valve which is found on top of the exhaust manifold left hand side as you look at engine. it could also be that the car is under performing , i.e air flow meter fault which is effecting the way the engine burns the fuel , unburnt fuel sits in the exhaust and is then forced out as engine is reved hard when stationary, also you dont mention if its a 110 hp , these have particulate filters ( exhaust) and these can give trouble when blocked , try disconnecting the MAF and see if the car goes better , this will bring on the management light though

Crow

lozz

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Crow, to be honest I have no idea if its the 90 or 110 bhp? although  looking at parker's specs, it looks like he has the 90bhp, cos its the LX  Confused do they not have a particulate filter on the 90bhp version?  The EGR valve looks like a pain in the butt to get to  Sad  I think I'll go out for the day when he does that  Laughing
Laura

Crow

Deluxe Deluxe
Joined: Oct 28, 2007 Posts: 1738 Location: Swindon / Wiltshire Berkshire border Posts Left: 0
What Peugeot do you own?: 407
How did you find Peugeot Central?: MSN

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Yep 90 s are without the filter Very Happy  , as for egr , yeah its not that easy to get at , all it is , is  a diaphram activated via a vac pipe and vacume supply , so if you can get a vac tester / mitivac then you can test operation without stripping anything apart from the vac pipe . what about performence , does the car pull constan in second gear up to 3500 / 4000 or does it come alive at around 2800 3000 rpm ??

and yes if he will strip the egr out then best you stay clear   Smile

Crow

lozz

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
Thanks Crow, he figured that out this afternoon that he had no filter  Smile  while he was under the car he noticed a hole ?? on the exhaust (I think he said near the manifold, but after the cat) which he's going to get welded asap. I asked him about the revs & he said the pull is constant no matter what the revs, although there is a dead spot on the clutch  Sad  performance wise, I think he thinks generally it should have a bit more get up & go,  I've driven it once & I thought it seemed ok, but then I'm useless when it comes to cars  Laughing
The black soot/carbon mess only happens when he first starts the car, but for the rest of the day/night its chucking out a LOT of smoke  Sad

hope that helps  Very Happy
Laura
Peugeot Central Forum Index >> Peugeot 307 forum >> 307 excessive smoke problems

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: