peugeot forums, peugeot Information,Peugeot Photos, Peugeot Reviews
Peugeot Central
Peugeot Central :: View topic - Boxer front suspension clunks.

Peugeot Central Forum Index >> Peugeot Boxer Van Forum >> Boxer front suspension clunks.
View previous topic - View next topic
Boxer front suspension clunks.

boxerguy

On the Grid On the Grid
What Peugeot do you own?: Boxer
How did you find Peugeot Central?: Google
Insurance renewal month: May

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 9:05 am Reply with quote
Hi my 1996 Boxer has a clunk from the front suspension, when near full or on full steering lock. Told by previous owner its the spring moving on the insert, but think its the top bearing. Any experience with this matter.  Easy and cheap to change????   Laughing
Advertisement
PeugeotCentral.co.uk
Advertisement
Re: Boxer front suspension clunks.

julianp

On the Grid On the Grid
Insurance renewal month: January

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Hi see no replys have same problem just had advisory on mot its top bearing on suspension on strut not expensive but looks a pain to do anyone know how to get at top of strut looks like its under the dash .Guy at garage says 2 hours each side shall have a go my self just get bits abd a spring compressor .Julian

barkerracing59

On the Grid On the Grid
How did you find Peugeot Central?: Yahoo

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
hmmmmmmm i thought it was my wheel bearings.  the back bounces around like its got a out of round wheel so i do think thats a wheel bearing and the front feels loose.  but i also get the clunk from both sides when turning hard and off the gas.

conjonstu

On the Grid On the Grid
Joined: Feb 21, 2012 Posts: 1 Location: clydebank,scotland Posts Left: 4

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
julianp wrote (View Post):
Hi see no replys have same problem just had advisory on mot its top bearing on suspension on strut not expensive but looks a pain to do anyone know how to get at top of strut looks like its under the dash .Guy at garage says 2 hours each side shall have a go my self just get bits abd a spring compressor .Julian
just done a n/s front coil spring on my 99 boxer,for the acces to the top strut bearing you have to take the complete strut off,you will need a good set of spring clamps,jack up van,remove wheel,place a trolley jack under brake disc,at the bottom of the strut you will see 4 threads from the bolts holding the bottom strut clamp onthe heads are behind the strut,24mm socket and long bar required to crack them,remove bolts completley,that is the bottom of the strut clear,now go inside van,loosen screws holdin lower dash,for n/s there are two screws you will see when you lower the glove comp door(either side of the fusebox cover) also there is a small screw at the side of the dash just below your quartelight window vent,remove dash slowly and reach in and disconect the speaker multiplug,the dash can be put to 1 side now,this will expose the top of the wheelarch,remove any coverings so you can see the paintwork,put your hand right up on top of the arc and you will feel the top of the strut,there are 3 bolts holding it on either 10 or 12mm,loosen these and your strut is disconected,now lower your trolley jack that is under the brack disc which will allow the strut to drop down and removed clear of the van,then jack your brake disk back up or you will lose oil from your driveshaft seal, problem that i had was i had the new strut bearing to replace as well but could not work out where or how this bearing would go,so im still stuck with a new spring that still clunks when turning left or right,still trying to find a schematic diagram of the components of the top strut mounting to see where this bearing goes,maybe you might be luckier

nicho1972

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Hi dont no if this is any use but I had a clunk on drivers side what sounded like the strut so on further investigation , I discovered that the strut plate looked recent , but the big lock nut on top of the strut was real loose Evil or Very Mad so I tightened it up and its now well sorted Laughing  its dead easy to get at the top of the struts you just need to remove the lower facia panel only a few screws then pull the big block of foam out, move some bunches of wires , and take the insulation away from the top of the suspension turret.

Cheers

julianp

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Recently did my top shock bearings its a bit of a job but drives like new now the bearing is  in between the top plate and plate top of spring mine were shot had to chisel it off the plate on one side you need a good wire brush as well to clean everything back up .I think problem is corrosion blocks drain holes then it just sits there every time spray gets up there .I waxoyled every thing as put it back to stop further corrosion .Diyer will need 2hrs each side and an extra pair of hands locating the suspension leg back in the holes its bloody heavy need to pump it back up with a jack .

gmtransport

On the Grid On the Grid
Joined: Apr 23, 2013 Posts: 3 Location: Castlebar Posts Left: 1

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Hello mine did exactly same ... I replaced shocks for USED ones really cheap and now perfect again
Peugeot Central Forum Index >> Peugeot Boxer Van Forum >> Boxer front suspension clunks.

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: