peugeot forums, peugeot Information,Peugeot Photos, Peugeot Reviews
Peugeot Central
Peugeot Central :: View topic - head gasket gone or not? UPDATE!!!

Peugeot Central Forum Index >> Peugeot 306 forum >> head gasket gone or not? UPDATE!!!
View previous topic - View next topic
head gasket gone or not? UPDATE!!!

jeanjeannie

On the Grid On the Grid
What Peugeot do you own?: 306
How did you find Peugeot Central?: Google

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Hi all im a newbie to this site, and would value any opinion or advice.

My problem is this, last week i had my car MOT DONE (PUG 306 1.9 DIESELand was very pleased that all i needed was a tyre and rear fog lights sorting and i was very pleased to say the least cos it only cost me £105.00 all in.

i drove away from the garage feeling very pleased with myself and i had driven about 2 miles and realised that the heaters were still blowing cold which i thought strange. i drove about another mile parked up and went shopping for 3 hours. when i came back to the car i checked if there was water in and there was so i set off home and the temperature went right up to just over 100 and the stop light came on after about 2 miles so i rang the breakdown . When he arrived  he checked it over and said there was no water in and i told him there was when i set off so we got water from a nearby house and he bled the system for air got the heaters warm and he followed me home about another 2 miles and the temperature stayed at 80 all the way.

i took the car back to the garage that did the MOT and explained the problem. the mechanic bled the car again got the heater warm and told me that he was very confident there was no air left in the system and said it should be ok but if the heater goes cold again it is most likely the head gasket gone.

As i'm driving home the heaters went cold so i then took it to a local garage and they said the system is pressurising and it could be the head gasket also.

I then told my partner and he got some stuff called STEEL SEAL from a local car shop and the local garage put it in but said it most likely wont work. Since then i have taken the car out 3 times, the first time the temp went up to 100 after about 1 mile. the second time i drove for about 5 miles and today i driven 16 miles before the temp went up to nearly 100 so i stopped the car and heard the fan kicking in and waited for it to cool down and set off home. and the heaters are just blowing cold constantly.

there is no water in the oil. there is nothing untowards coming out of the exhaust and the car is running fine with no problems starting it.

could anyone please give me an opinion on wether or not it is definitely a head gasket pLEASE?

UPDATE

yESTERDAY I TOPPED UP COOLANT LEVELS, ANTI FREEZE AND WATER. TOOK CAR OUT AND DID 25 MILES AND THE HEATERS SUDDENLY KICKED IN ALTHOUGH NOT TO TOP TEMP BUT ALSO THE TEMP GAGE NEVER MOVED OVER 70, WHATS GOING ON LOL? HAS THE CAR MIRACULOUSLY FIXED ITSELF OR HAS THE STEEL SEAL WORKED OR WHAT?

[b][align=center][s]

Last edited by jeanjeannie on Tue 10 Feb, 2009 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Advertisement
PeugeotCentral.co.uk
Advertisement
Re: head gasket gone or not?

newpug306

Limited Edition Limited Edition
Joined: Dec 05, 2007 Posts: 76 Location: merseyside Posts Left: 3

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 6:45 am Reply with quote
hi, not sure what car you have,,,dtails of engine. petrol etc.

i had what i thought was a headgasket problem with my 306 1.6 petrol car... smokey exhaust mainly...bought that steel seal..which will take a couple of miles to heal any problem...does work if it is a minor gasket failure from mine and friends experiences.

but..im no mechanic...so see what others think...canyondust is your man i think..knows everything.

but i doubt it head gasket...from mechanics ive been to..if they dont know whats up they just say...""yea,,thats your head gasket mate"

possible leak in the hoses maybe? check bottom hose.....

again..just my opinions...not a major mechanic...hope you get it fixed ok.
Re: head gasket gone or not? UPDATE!!!

AL306

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
hi

normally if the heater is not geting hot it is water circulatory problem, as in the water is not going around the engine, hence the over heating too.

Suggest you check the thermostat as if this is not opening properly it will restrict the water flow and give all the symptoms you state.

let us kn ow hoe you get on

Al..
Re: head gasket gone or not? UPDATE!!!

justin9376

On the Grid On the Grid
Joined: Apr 04, 2009 Posts: 4 2000 Peugeot 306 Posts Left: 1

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
also if the water level is the same level still, and none has leaked out, could be the water pump on the way out.  That would cause the car to overheat, but as the air in the car isnt getting warm, sounds like the thermostat to me as well
Peugeot Central Forum Index >> Peugeot 306 forum >> head gasket gone or not? UPDATE!!!

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: