peugeot forums, peugeot Information,Peugeot Photos, Peugeot Reviews
Peugeot Central
Peugeot Central :: View topic - 407 2.0 136 hdi clutch

Peugeot Central Forum Index >> Peugeot 407 forum >> 407 2.0 136 hdi clutch
View previous topic - View next topic
407 2.0 136 hdi clutch

woosie54

On the Grid On the Grid
Joined: Dec 02, 2007 Posts: 8 Location: South Queensferry, Scotland 2008 Peugeot coupe bellagio Posts Left: 0
What Peugeot do you own?: 407
How did you find Peugeot Central?: Google
Insurance renewal month: September

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote
Has anyone experienced clutch problems on their 407 ?
I have detected clutch slippage, with only 30K on the clock, and most of that motorway driving
Advertisement
PeugeotCentral.co.uk
Advertisement
Re: 407 2.0 136 hdi clutch

ukdave2002

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quote
Hi

Clutch on my 407 started slipping after 20,000 miles like you doing mainly motorway miles, it was repalced under warranty, then about 10,000 miles later it started slipping again,again under warranty the dual mass flywheel was repalced along with the clutch, the dealer told me they had had many problems with the dual mass fly wheels, causing premature clutch failure. Car now has 60,000 mile and clutch is fine.

Dave

Acman

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
my 407 has 42000 miles the pedal has little travl and it slips occasionally, are these the same symptons

alarmed

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Hi all found this forum by accident looking for info on my 407 after reading this post I decided to register.

I was under the impression from my local dealer that clutch problems on 407 were not common unlike some of the smaller Peugeot cars when mine went in for a replacement under warranty. I  bought a 407sw 06 plate 136 bhp last September with 11,000 miles I have had some major problems since the 2nd day after picking it up with the latest problem a clutch / Flywheel failure due to uneven wear possible down to a manufacturing fault the car had less than 17000 miles, to be fair the local dealer has been superb unfortunately they was not the supplying dealer that sold me the car wish they had been as the original dealer has been a total mare they have just about washed their hands of this car even though it's supposed to be getting exchanged under the lion used car policy.

Sorry to hear others having problems with low mileage 407s I though Peugeot's were better built

Paul

Cookies

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys!

This all sounds very familiar to me too. I have an 06 2.0 HDI 136 X-Line that started the whole slipping clutch thing at about 9000 miles. It wasn't happening very often at that stage but over the next few thousand miles it became more and more frequent. Shocked

Initially it would only occur under hard acceleration in 4th and 5th gears but most recently it started doing it in 6th. The slippage occurred from 1800 to 2400 rpm approximately, and when the speed of the car cought up with the revs it would accelerate normally from there. This must coincide with the peak torque.

Anyway to make a long story ever so slightly less long, the dealer replaced the clutch last week at 18000 miles under warranty without any hesitation. So far the dealer (not sure if I'm allowed to name them) have been simply terrific. Very Happy

Good luck to anyone else with the same problem. The only consolation is that the dealership network appears to be mainly very good.

Cookies.

Indy

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
Hi,

I have a 407 136 HDi 06 plate and i've come across a problem with the clutch too. I had contacted my local dealer and they are suggesting that it is the clutch, but claim it is not covered by the warranty as it has done over 20,000 miles! My car has got 28,000 miles on the clock and I was wondering whether anyone knows about the warranty situation?

I would be extremely grateful for some advise, as I would like to present this to my local dealer.

spoonhunter

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
I bought a high mileage 407 136 HDI SW recently. Clutch started slipping shortly after ownership. The car has now covered 102k. Whilst I am (not) happy about replacing the plate/pressure/plate/bearing from my own finances I baulk at the additional cost of also replacing the dual mass fly wheel at £450. Incidentally - Peugeot say 'see what the flywheel looks like when we take it out'. Mr Clutch, and even my back street garage, will not do this job without replacing the fly wheel. Are Peugeot just trying to tease here? Come on guys - you KNOW that this part will need replacing - there seems to be a problem with it - just check out this (and other) forums. So I humbly ask Peugeot UK for a contribution towards the cost of the flywheel replacement - they are not interested in giving any assistance due to the vehicle's mileage. So I have to cover the 1k cost myself. My advice - if you are looking to purchase a high mileage 407 HDI is to avoid it, unless you have a 1k fund as 'contingency'. If you check this, and other forums, you will see that this car does not have to cover big miles for the clutch to fail. Incidentally, I asked the various clutch centres regarding life expectancy of modern clutches. They advise 150k, unless the vehicle is a taxi. I do not buy taxis, and I am not a taxi driver! My previous vehicles (Skoda Fabia TDI, Skoda Octavia TDI, Mondeo ST24, Rover 220 SDi) all managed to go way over 100k without clutch problems. Welcome to the world of Peugeot!

407-2005

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Ouch - just bought a 407SW Exec manual last week, an 05 plate with 54K miles, noticed clutch a bit high on the action, so noting there may be a near future problem, but didn't expect to hear about this flywheel cost issue in getting a clutch replaced - will totally destroy the good purchase price achieved.  Have 3 months left on warranty though, and may try it on with dealers ASAP.  What we need as owners is guidance on warranty and on dealer quality - in my view how can Peugeot claim that a clutch is not covered by warranty after 20,000 miles when they hav a 3 yr 60,000 mile warranty on the car??

bigtoe

Limited Edition Limited Edition

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
just a thought,but most of these issues relate to the 2.0 hdi but not the 1.6 ! On reading general information on 407s it seems that the 2.0 has far more problems. The general motor trade also seem to prefer the smaller engined car.Any thoughts?

Norman

On the Grid On the Grid

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Reading all of this has provided me with with excellent ammunition for dealing with what the dealers garage told me yesterday.  My story:

The faulty xenon dip beam light message came on and on looking at the manual it advised to have this light fitted by the dealer, so as instructed i took it in (yesterday).  While there I asked the mechanic to have a listen to it as over the past two - three weeks it had been over-revving especially between 4th and 5th gear.  The outcome is it needs a new clutch and they have quoted me £855 to have this done.

Now I would like to know what others thoughts would be on whether this is something that could be tied in with the duel mass fly wheels and if so whether its a warranty item.  Also at the end of Janaury it went in to have its annual check and the clutch travel box was ticked with no follow up written - does anyone know whether this should have been picked up during that check bearing in mind it was only six weeks ago? The car is not yet two years old and it has 30,000 miles on the clock and i have only owned it a year.  The service area have said there is nothing they can do (albeit this was the receptionist) and I now have to speak to the general sales manager tomorrow to discuss this cost as I am sure you will appreciate bearing in mind the age of the car, the length owned and the number of miles I am not happy to take on this cost at all.

Look forward to hearing peoples feedback.
Peugeot Central Forum Index >> Peugeot 407 forum >> 407 2.0 136 hdi clutch

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  NextPage 1 of 4
Jump to: