Strange reversing problem

pbj1948

On the Grid On the Grid
What Peugeot do you own?: 406
How did you find Peugeot Central?: Word of Mouth
Insurance renewal month: April

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Howdy All,

New to Peugeot Central. I'm 75 and no longer able to fix my cars, so I've become one of those who no longer tries DIY repairs. I've been using a great mechanic for several years now and every necessary repair is done immediately. My 406 SW, 1998, is a petrol 2.0l and has covered 95,000 miles in its 23 year life. I do very little mileage each year and fortunately the MOT is passed almost every time. I love the car, but because my knees are now dodgy, I've had to buy an automatic car and my lovely old bus is now for sale.

However, as I want to pass the car onto the new owner in the best possible condition, I have the following question to ask:

Today I noticed that if I want to reverse the car up even a slight incline, I need to slip the clutch and rev the engine quite hard in order to get it moving. It feels as if something is locking up and preventing movement. Imagine a broken CV joint, with the knackered bits fouling each other....that's how it feels. The car will still reluctantly reverse, though. After this happened, I tried reversing on a level road and there was no problem at all! Any ideas, anyone?  Wink

As a matter of interest, I located the source of a loud buzzing noise from the driver's side front wing which was a puzzle to everyone I asked to listen to it. Eventually, I located the source. As you will all know, the 2.0 petrol engine is stabilised by a horizontal (ish) arm which runs from the cylinder head to the inner wing. This has bushes at either end. On my car, the bush at the wing end seems to have slipped a bit, or has worn out, allowing the engine vibration to be transferred to the wing as a whole, which makes a huge racket  Surprised . The repair needed, I suspect, is a new bush, but a temporary fix is to lever the arm away from the inner wing, so that the metal part of the bush no longer touches the metal of the wing and then inject some hot melt glue, keeping the metal parts apart as the glue sets. It's a real bodge, but it does work.

Thanks for reading this post.

Look forward to receiving your responses.

PBJ/
Advertisement
PeugeotCentral.co.uk
Advertisement
Peugeot Central Forum Index >> Peugeot 406 forum >> Strange reversing problem

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: